An increasing number of barramundi caught by recreational fishers are now released after capture. That barra you catch may not be the Million Dollar Fish but should be handled carefully.
When releasing fish, NT Fisheries recommends:
- Minimising the time out of the water so the fish can be returned to the water as quickly as possible.
- Use fish-friendly knotless landing nets to minimise injuries and fin damage.
- Get your camera or phone ready to take that image before you take the fish out of the water and begin handling it.
- Wet down your measuring board before measuring a fish and never lay the fish on a hot, dry surface.
- If holding a fish, support its weight with both hands and don’t suspend it vertically by its jaw.
- Release the fish into bank side cover or snags which provide protection while the fish recovers.
It is the responsibility of all recreational fishers involved in the Million Dollar Fish competition to ensure that all fish released have the best chance of survival. This will ensure the sustainability of our fish for the future.